VIRGINIA BYERS KRAUS, M.D. PH.D.
Assistant Professor of Pathology
Associate Professor of Medicine
Assistant Professor of Surgery
MOLECULAR PATHOGENESIS OF ARTHRITIS
(osteoarthritis / biomarkers / cartilage biology / genetics)
This is a molecular biology laboratory devoted to the study of the pathogenesis of arthritis. We investigate the interrelationship of immunological, biomechanical and genetic aspects of the disease and elucidate the differences between normal joint aging and the disease state of osteoarthritis in particular. Our major focus is on the role of inflammatory mediators and proteases in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis and the influence of genotype on its phenotypic manifestations. We actively develop and validate surrogate biomarkers to advance the practice of clinical diagnosis and prognosis of the disease. We have ongoing basic research projects involving in vitro and animal model systems as well as biomedical clinical research trials in osteoarthritis in man.
1. Kraus, VB. 1997. Pathogenesis and Treatment of Osteoarthritis. Med. Clinics of North Amer. 81(1): 85-112.
2. Huebner, JL, IG Otterness, EMN Freund, B Caterson and VB Kraus. 1998. Collagenase-1 and Collagenase-3 Expression in a Guinea Pig Model of Osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheum 41(5): 877-890.
3. Kraus, VB, N Gell and J Blumenthal. 1999. The effect of chronic exercise on circulating biomarkers in individuals with musculoskeletal disease. Clin Ex Phys 1(1):17-23.
4. Clark , AG, J Jordan , V Vilim, JB Renner, A Dragomir, G Luta , and VB Kraus. 1999. Serum cartilage oligomeric matrix protein reflects osteoarthritis presence and severity: the Johnston County Osteoarthritis Project. Arthritis Rheum 42(11): 2356-2364.
5. Hale, LP, AG Clark, J Li, PK Greer and VB Kraus. 2001. Age-related thymic atrophy in the guinea pig: effects of long-term supplementation with vitamin C. Developmental and Comparative Immunology 25: 509-518.
6. Carlson, CS, F Guilak, TP Vail, JF Gardin and VB Kraus. 2002. Synovial fluid biomarker levels predict articular cartilage damage following complete medial meniscectomy in the canine knee. J Orthopaedic Res 20: 92-100.
7. Kraus, VB, JL Huebner, C Fink, J King, S Brown, TP Vail and F Guilak. 2002. Urea as a passive transport marker for arthritis biomarker studies. Arthritis & Rheum 46 (2): 420-427.
8. Clark, AC, AL Rohrbaugh, I Otterness and VB Kraus. 2002. The effects of ascorbic acid and its analogs on cartilage metabolism in guinea pig articular cartilage explants. Matrix Biology 21: 175-184.
9. Fink, C, HJ Cooper, JL. Huebner, F Guilak and VB Kraus. 2002. Precision and accuracy of dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry for bone mineral measurements in guinea pigs. Calcified Tissue Intl 70:164-169.
10. Huebner JL , MA Hanes, B Beekman, JM TeKoppele and VB Kraus. 2002. A comparative analysis of bone and cartilage metabolism in two strains of guinea pig with varying degrees of naturally occurring osteoarthritis. Osteo & Cartilage 10(10) October issue.
11. Kraus, VB and E Martin. 2002. Laboratory approaches to the identification of genetic association in osteoarthritis. In Osteoarthritis (2nd ed), eds, K Brandt, M Doherty and S Lohmander , Oxford University Press, Oxford , pp 41-47.
12.VB Kraus, G Varju, Y Li, E Martin, JA Jordan, JB Renner, M Doherty, AG Wilson, R Moskowitz, M Hochberg, R Loeser, S Sundseth.2001. Assessment of the usefulness of clinical hand examination for determination of OA affected status for genetic studies.Arthritis Rheum 44 (9 Suppl): 528.
13.VB Kraus, Y Li, E Martin, JA Jordan, JB Renner, M Doherty, AG Wilson, R Moskowitz, M Hochberg, R Loeser, Scott Sundseth. 2001.Articular hypermobility and hand osteoarthritis.Arthritis Rheum 44 (9 Suppl): 529.
14.Chen,J; JY Wang; AE Baer, VB Kraus and LA Setton. 2002.Zone analysis of gene expression in intervertebral disc tissue by cDNA microarray and real- time quantitative RT-PCR.Trans Orthop Res Soc 27: 811.
15.Vilim, V, M Olejarova, S Machacek , J Gatterova, VB Kraus and K Pavelka.2002.Serum levels of COMP correlate with radiographic progression of knee osteoarthritis.Trans Orthop Res Soc 27: 421.
16.Rohrbaugh, R, A Clark and VB Kraus.2002.The effects of ascorbic acid on cartilage metabolism in articular cartilage explants.Trans Orthop Res Soc 27: 373.
17. Kraus, VB, AG Clark, JL Huebner and T Stabler.2002.Long term high-dose ascorbic acid intake in the Hartley guinea pig increases spontaneous osteoarthritis severity. Osteo & Cartilage 10 (Suppl A): S7 (M18).
18. Rohrbaugh , AL and VB Kraus.2002.Characterization of ascorbic acid transport mechanisms in human chondrocytes.Osteo & Cartilage 10 (Suppl A): S31 (PS33).
19.Huebner, JH, V Vilim and VB Kraus.Synovial fluid biomarkers as predictors of therapeutic efficacy in a longitudinal analysis of the Hartley guinea pig model of naturally occurring osteoarthritis. 49th National Orthopaedic Research Society (accepted).
20. Rohrbaugh , AL , TP Vail and VB Kraus.Characterization of ascorbic acid transport mechanisms in human chondrocytes. 49th National Orthopaedic Research Society (accepted podium presentation).
21.Stabler, TS and VB Kraus.Ascorbic acid accumulates in chondrocytes in vivo. 49th National Orthopaedic Research Society (accepted).
22.Huebner, JL, JM Williams, and VB Kraus.2003. The timecourse of collagen fibril disruption in primary guinea pig osteoarthritis. 49th National Orthopaedic Research Society (accepted).
23.Kelly, BT; HG Potter, AD Pearle, CC Nofsinger, X Deng, VB Kraus, TN Trumble, RC Billinghurst, AS Turner, RF Warren, and SA Rodeo.2003.Biochemical, biomechanical, histologic, and radiographic indices of arthritis in an ovine post-meniscectomy model. 49th National Orthopaedic Research Society (accepted podium presentation).
24.Boyd LM; J Chen, WJ Richardson, VB Kraus, and LA Setton.2003.Osmolarity regulates gene expression in intervertebral disc cells quantified with high density oligonucleotides array technology. 49 th National Orthopaedic Research Society (accepted).
To see abstracts from additional research by Dr. Kraus